SO - I think that one of the defining moments in becoming a DIYer is dumpster diving... You know you are committed when you stop at garbage piles and pull out peoples old trash in order to turn it into something great.
This isn't my first time doing this BUT its the first time pulling something this large out of the garbage pile and having to dig for all the pieces...
I saw this beauty while on a date actually... we were on our way to see the Angel Oak in SC - If you haven't been its kinda cool. Super big sweet looking tree. Not too much to do while there other than check out the cool tree- just FYI... but still worth going and seeing.
Anyway - we are on the way there and we drive by this less than nice - lets say - complex that has a big dumpster out front. Next to the dumpster I see some furniture... We continued on to the Angel Oak and then as we were leaving? Yup - you got it. I made my date stop to check out the dumpster furniture with me! Lol. Figure if he can't handle it then he isn't the guy for me right?
So we check it out and there are two gorgeous dressers. There was no way it would fit in his car so sadly we left them.
I couldn't stop thinking about them though and so later I drove back out there and saved this one! All the drawers were broken and in pieces. I had to dig through the rest of the trash to find everything that belonged to this dresser. I got some strange looks from some of the complex residents who were chillin outside having a drink. . .
But when I started to load the dresser they came over and helped me get it in the car :) So I cant complain!
My car isn't big enough to fit both of the dressers that were there and by the time I made it back (a couple days later) the garbage truck had obviously been by. I can only hope that someone else saved that one before that happened...
You can see that she isn't in the best shape... The paint is peeling where it looks like she may have been exposed to some weather. And as I said all the drawers were in pieces... But most of the pieces were there and in relatively good shape.
So that was step one. Reassemble the drawers.
This involved wood glue, the mallet you see there, and the nail gun. Because these drawers had been ripped apart and not nicely disassembled the dovetail edges needed a bit of reinforcement in order to get them to hold properly.
I lucked out that the only piece completely unsalvageable was one of the drawer bases. I had to go to Home Depot and buy a super thin board that I could cut to size. Cutting the front edge wasn't easy... I just don't have the right tools for that. And since I didn't want to purchase a scroll saw - It wasn't quite as easy as I had hoped. But it still worked out!
Once all the drawers were reassembled I made sure that they fit back in the dresser properly...
They all fit!! And as you can see it was missing a couple of the pulls. Because I liked the pulls so much and didn't want to get all new ones I decided to find some that would go with - without worrying about them being exactly the same. I spray painted them all to match so they would work.
The next step was to sand the dresser and drawer fronts. Needed to get any of that paint that was peeling removed and off so that it wouldn't cause problems with the new paint.
It looked significantly worse after sanding... good thing I was covering all that up!
While sanding the drawers my hand sander decided to die on me... It was my less expensive hand sander that I purchased when I was sanding my stairs (since my super nice one was with all my stuff that hadn't arrived yet...) But I've been using it since then and its been great! Apparently it decided that I used it too much :(
Oh well... I have my other one though so I pulled that out and finished the job!
And then because I wanted a dark contrast when I distressed I spray painted the whole thing black
After letting that dry I pulled out the paint!
It took several coats to get them completely covered. And then I distressed them. I wanted to let that black paint show through a little...
Same with the base unit - several coats of paint... and then distressing. I
Last but not least and always important - I sealed the piece. I used the spray seal because I was already worried about the drawers fitting too tightly and didn't want to add another layer to make things more tight...
And then I put it all together.
She looked amazing!! And this is why sometimes digging through the dumpster is totally worth it!